Call into order
Approval of last month’s minutes: here.
2018 June Primary Endorsement Consent Calendar – Angel Martinez
- Susan Ellenberg for Supervisor
- John Hirokawa for Sheriff
Endorsements for consideration:
- Measure A
- Early endorsement for Bruce Huynh for Alum Rock School Board
- Santa Clara County Sheriff’s race
- Board of Supervisors, District 4 Race
- President: Emily Ramos
- Treasurer: Alex Petrosky
- Vote on Bylaws Amendment, which can be found here.
- Fundraising Committee
- Political Director: Angel Martinez
- Joint walk for Kalen Gallagher on April 29, 2018
- Secretary: Kathy Tran
- Thank you to everyone that attended the mixer on April 6, 2018
- Upcoming mixer: April 18, 2018
- Social media updates – Antonia is handling Instagram.
- Membership director: Jesus Salazar
- Communicating with SJSU
- Announcement of nominations for officer elections in May
Meeting called into order by President Emily Ramos at 7:34 PM.
Welcomes and Introductions
Motion to approve the minutes from last month by Lucas Ramirez, seconded by Matt Savage.
Young Democrats that requested early endorsements from the club:
- Mason Fong
- Lucas Ramirez
In order to get the endorsement, you need a 3/4 vote instead of the usual majority. The threshold was 12 votes.
Motion to endorse Mason Fong by Jose Magana, seconded by Matt Savage. The motion passes with 12 votes.
Motion to endorse Lucas Ramirez by Emily Ramos, seconded by Kathy Tran. The motion passes with 14 votes.
- Recall Persky Campaign
- Measure A campaign (Rank Choice Voting in Santa Clara)
- No on Measure B campaign (Evergreen Senior Homes)
Motion by Alex Petrosky to have the Recall Persky campaign reach out to Republican groups. Motion fails.
Motion by Cassie Mancini to support and endorse the Recall Persky campaign, seconded by Jesus Salazar. Discussion about previous motion that Alex Petrosky put forth. Matt Savage calls the question. The motion to support the Recall Persky campaign passes.
Motion by Tara Sreekrishnan to table to vote on Measure A until the next meeting, seconded by Cassie Mancini.
The motion is substituted by Emily Ramos to support Measure A, seconded by Ryan Globus. The substitute motion fails.
The motion by Tara to table to vote on Measure A passes.
Angel Martinez the political director discloses that he is personally against the Measure B campaign.
Motion by Jose Magana to vote in support of the No on Measure B campaign, seconded by Matt Savage. The motion passes.
Motion to reimburse the e-board funds that paid for housing for convention by Matt Savage, seconded by Cassie Mancini. Motion passes.
President Emily Ramos: Thanks for coming.
Treasurer Alex Petrosky: Discussion of new bylaws amendment. Plans to form a financial committee and start fundraising.
Political Director Angel Martinez: Thank you for coming to the meeting and participating! Join the endorsements committee.
Secretary Kathy Tran: Save the Date, April 6 for a Young Dems mixer.
Membership Director: Let us know about tabling opportunities.
- Jose Magana: Support for library reducing fines.
- Jennie Richardson: Talk to me if you want to get involved in the Recall Persky Campaign.
- Michael Melillo: Anyone who is interested in forming a Blue Dog Democratic club, come talk to me.
- Ryan Globus: The March For Our Lives San Jose is this Saturday, March 24th. I’ll be attending with some friends, and if anyone is going, we can all meet up.
Motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:10 PM by Angel Martinez, seconded by Patrick Ahrens.