Job ID: 2778
Salary Min: $34619.52
Salary Max: $55391.23
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Close Date: Open Until Filled
About the Department
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation’s best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration. The San José City Council is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City’s employees.
The San José City Council consists of ten Councilmembers elected by district and a Mayor elected atlarge, each for four-year terms. The Mayor and Council are responsible for representing the residents of San José , providing accountability, reviewing public policy and programs, and adopting those policies which best meet the needs of the residents, visitors, and businesses in San José.
Position and Duties
The Office of Vice Mayor Madison Nguyen is recruiting for a full-time Council Policy & Legislative Analyst . Under the direction of a Senior Council Assistant (Chief of Staff), the position provides services in connection with legislative analysis, research, communications, written information and other related matters as needed and requested by a member of the City Council. The position requires an employee with strong and effective organizational skills; ability to handle multiple assignments; excellent written and oral communications skills, and the ability to develop and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with community members and neighborhood organizations, key stakeholders, City Staff, and others. Staff members must be willing to work flexible hours and, as exempt management employees, are not eligible for overtime compensation.
Employees in this classification are not members of the classified civil service and are appointed “at will” with no property right to continued employment. Each appointment is for a specified period of time to be determined by the appointing Council member and does not extend past the end of the elected official’s or appointing authority’s term. This unclassified position requires a disclosure of outside investments, real property interest, income and business positions.
The Council Policy & Legislative Analyst will be primarily responsible for the following tasks:
* Gathering background information relative to issues pending before the City Council
* Analyzing a wide variety of materials on assigned projects, programs and topics
* Drafting resolutions, requests, memoranda or other materials to be placed on the City Council agenda
* Preparation or assisting in preparation of speeches, articles or other communications for the Council Member; Preparation of news releases and setting up press conferences
* Answering inquiries, resolving complaints, and interpreting operating policies for residents of the community and other interested parties
* Attending City-related meetings and activities, meeting with governmental agencies, private industry and related meetings
* Coordinating arrangements for meetings, programs, and other civic functions with concerned individuals, organizations and other parties
* Performs other duties of a similar nature or level as required
Any combination of training and experience equivalent that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to advice the Council Member on matters of public policy, democratic processes, constituent service or citizen involvement.
The ideal candidate will possess the most desirable combination of training, skills and experience, which will allow him or her to serve as a member of the Council City District 7 Team. Desirable experience, knowledge and skills for this position include:
* A BA/BS in Communications, Public Policy or Business Administration or closely related field is highly desirable.
* Knowledge of Public Administration; management and administrative methods; budgeting, land use, public relations, customer/constituent relations, etc. Ability to apply public administration principles and methods to develop and implement solutions to complex problems. Ability to interpret and apply instructions, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
* Proficiency in the use of software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher; web posting or equivalent
* Proficiency in the development, maintenance and use of database management systems using software such Filemaker Pro and Access.
* Ability to effectively plan workflow and manage multiple projects to deliver quality products in a timely manner evidenced by through strong organizational, administration, and management skills.
* Ability to express themselves clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing (email, letters, report writing and editing).
* Bilingual skills (Spanish or Vietnamese) are highly desirable
* Skill in research techniques and applications – collecting, compiling, analyzing, and interpreting data.
* Ability to communicate effectively with others and facilitate groups to achieve common objectives; understand and identify key issues and make recommendations in complex situations.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with others and to provide excellent service to internal and external customers, stakeholders and colleagues.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant’s training and experience based on the application, resume and answers to the job-specific questions. Only those candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to interview. This is a position-specific recruitment for this vacancy only. If you are interested in other Council Assistant I/II opportunities, you must respond to other specific announcements.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions in the online application process:
1. Do you possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Administration, Government or Business Administration or a closely related field from an accredited college or university? If yes, please specify your major and list the related courses that you completed for your major that are relevant to this position. If no, please specify how your education, training and experience meet the minimum and desirable qualifications for this position.
2. Do you possess bilingual language skills? If yes, please specify the language(s) that you are fluent in and whether or not you are fluent in both oral and written skills.
3. Do you have experience in public administration; public policy and/or government? If yes, please describe your experience, including the positions held and your specific role and responsibilities.
4. Do you have any experience in public relations; constituent service and/or citizen involvement? If yes, please describe your experiences, role and responsibilities which are relevant to this position.
5. Do you have any experience developing and managing databases (Filemaker Pro and/or Excel, Access)? If yes, please describe provide one or two examples of databases you have developed and managed and the projects in which these databases were used.
6. Do you have any experience with research projects (collecting, compiling, analyzing, and interpreting data) and presenting written and oral reports? If yes, please provide one or two examples of projects you have completed, including the subject, audience, recommendations or findings, and the outcomes achieved.
7. Do you have any experience with web site development and content? If yes, please describe your knowledge and experience, including your specific role and responsibilities; software used, etc.
8. Do you have experience providing staff support for an elected official, governing board, or executive? If yes, please describe your experience, including the organization for which you worked, your specific job duties, and include an example of how you provided exemplary support to the official or executive. If No, please describe your transferable experience, knowledge, skills or abilities that would enable you to fulfill these duties.
9. Do you have experience working in a complex environment handling multiple tasks and projects within your area of responsibility? If Yes, please describe your approach to your job, how you managed your responsibilities, and include one or two specific examples of difficult situations that you handled. If no, please describe your transferable experience, knowledge, skills or abilities that would enable you to fulfill these duties.
10. Do you have experience in working effectively in a team environment, including working with employees at all levels of the organization and the public? If so, please describe a specific example of a successful team experience, your role and responsibilities, and the techniques you used to develop and maintain excellent working relationships, which resulted in the timely and effective delivery of a project, product, or service. If no, please describe your transferable experience, knowledge, skills or abilities that would enable you to fulfill these duties.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions regarding the duties of this position, the recruitment, and selection or hiring processes, please contact Louansee Moua, District 7 Chief of Staff, at 408-535-4985, or Anthony Smith, Analyst II, at 408-535-1262; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have comments or concerns about the recruitment, selection or hiring processes, please contact the Human Resources Department, Phone: 408-535-1285; e-mail: email@example.com