April 15th, 2019
Call to Order by Kathy Tran at 7:37
Approval of Minutes
Kathy Tran motions to approve minutes from 3/18/2019. Angel Martinez seconds. Unanimously approved by voice vote.
President Kathy Tran
- Kathy motions to discuss buying new tablecloth for tabling at a cost of $200
- Motion seconded by Antonia Zavala and unanimously approved by voice vote.
- Motion to approve advanced by Jesus Salazar, seconded by Andrew Crockett
- Unanimously approved by voice vote.
- Possibility of subsidizing Young Democrats to go to convention
- Will be voting on new chair of California Democratic Party
- Sponsoring Young Democrats to attend local events and workshops
- Andrew Crockett: Inflection Point Institute is hosting an inaugural meet-and-greet on April 25th at 5:30 in Oakland
- Kathy: SVAPADC has a 5-hour training session for people interested in running for office
Membership Director Antonia Zavala
- SVYD wildflower hike on Sunday
- Would like to host more non-political events and mixers
Political Director Angel Martinez
- Many candidates have already announced for 2020
- Young Democrats can request early endorsements
- First meeting with Matt Mahan, who is running for San Jose City Council District 10, on Friday
- Plans to meet with Jenny Higgins (SJ District 10) and David Cohen (SJ District 6)
Interim Secretary Alexander Gvatua
- Nothing to report.
- Housing Committee update by Alexander Gvatua
- Opposition letter to San Jose City Council consideration of weakening Ellis Act
- Motion to approve by Alex Lee, second by Jesus Salazar
- Motion passes with 9 votes in favor and 1 abstention
- Kathy Tran: Update on meeting with Congresswoman Anna Eshoo
- Congresswoman Eshoo chairs the Health Subcommittee, which recently passed 6 bills on lowering prescription drug prices
- As a result of the 2018 midterms, 21 California Representatives chair House committees or subcommittees
- Angel Martinez: Suggestion of a committee for environmental issues
- Reach out to Veggielution for possible guest speaker at SVYD meeting or visit to their farm
- Antonia Zavala: Gauging interest in the possibility of an Associate Members’ mixer
- Antonia Zavala: Congresswoman Anna Eshoo is hosting an Activist Summit on April 17th at 6pm at Crown Plaza, with a panel on organizing for 2020
- Santa Clara County Library provides free access for members to Headspace, a meditation app
- Jesus Salazar: Young Professionals Rotary Club seeks new members interested in community service in East San Jose
- Next meeting on April 16th at 6:30
- Kathy Tran: On Board Match Event on May 9th, 4pm-7pm at Sobrato Center for Non-Profits
- Connects individuals with non-profits seeking new board members
Kathy Tran motions to adjourn at 8:49. Andrew Crockett seconds. Unanimously approved by voice vote.