I. Call to motion
President Alex Wara called for a motion at 7:58 PM for the meeting to start. Colleen motioned, Lucas seconded.
II. Candidate Meet & Greet
Candidates were allocated a total of 30 seconds to speak for the meet and greet event. Listed below is the order in which candidates went.
- Mike Honda (Proxy)
- Ro Khanna
- Ash Kalra
- Vicky Vinker
- Marc Berman (Proxy)
- Sergio Jimenez
- Elias Portales
- Peter Allen (Proxy)
- Chris Roth
- Eric Fong
- Helen Chapman
- Ruben Navarro
- Josh Barousse
Colleen then made an important announcement that was pertinent to the candidates running for San Jose City Council that a forum on homelessness will be held on April 18th, 2016 from 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM at Boccardo Reception Center, 2011 Little Orchard Street, San Jose. For more information or to rsvp, please contact Destination:Home at firstname.lastname@example.org.
III. Officer Reports
- President Alex Wara: A new rule regarding outreach for endorsed candidates will now go into effect. Please send the eboard materials/notices 3 days ahead of events such as walks or fundraisers.
- Political director Justin Carvalho: He was absent but Alex reported for him the endorsement timeline.
- Membership director Emily Ramos: She explained the membership process.
- Treasurer Charles Wilson: We are still in the black.
- Secretary Kathy Tran: Sign up for committees. I’m regularly updating the website and posting on facebook. A lot of information should be present on the website.
IV. Old Business
Regarding CYD, we have a special rate for SVYD members who want to attend convention. The general cost is $65 but for SVYD members, we are offering $30 off. Email Emily for more information at email@example.com.
As for hospitality suites, the Young Dems reception is at the Pagoda Lounge at the Fairmont. Assemblymember Evan Low has an event at the Tech Museum.
V. New Business
Scott Meyers Lipton has a Gross Receipts Business Tax proposal that he wants our club to endorse.
Lucas Rameriz moves to endorse a motion for discussion. Noveed seconded the motion. There was a call to question.
12 Aye, 0 Nay. The proposed measure is officially endorsed by SVYD.
- Mario Lopez: State of County Address by Dave Cortez
- Andre M. and Ellen K.: API dems are hosting Karaoke Night upcoming Saturday for convention. A cosponsor is Fiona Ma. This event is happening Saturday 10 pm – 1 am at the Hyatt.
- Noveed: Upcoming PYD Dems meeting. FB page is here: https://www.facebook.com/PeninsulaYoungDemocrats
- Josh B: CYD Pagoda Event hosted by the Latino Caucus
- Elias P: 2017 Democratic State Party vote for Kimberly Ellis
Motion called to adjourn the meeting by Alex, seconded by Elias. Meeting adjourned at 8:44 PM.