Silicon Valley Young Democrats
Meeting Minutes: July 16, 2018
Call to Order by Kathy Tran at 7:12 PM.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Patrick Ahrens motions to approval SVYD meeting minutes from June 25, 2018.
Angelica Ramos seconds the motion.
Karen Hurst, Professor at San Jose City College
Working with Central Valley Indivisible to lead numerous trips to the Central Valley in August to flip CD-21 (TJ Cox) and CD-22 (Andrew Janz). Contact email@example.com for more information.
President Kathy Tran
- Kathy attended the CYD Statewide Leadership Conference in Oakland in June. There was no endorsement in the Lt. Governor’s race.
- Conscious San Jose Festival: September 22nd; planning SVYD table to register voters and recruit new members
- ACYD BBQ: South Alameda County Young Democrats will have their 3rd Annual BBQ Fundraiser on Saturday, August 4th from 3-5 PM in Hayward. Contact Kathy if you are interested in attending.
Membership Director Antonia Zavala
- Please pay your membership dues online.
- Contact Antonia if you wish to join the outreach/membership committee. The purpose of this committee is to acknowledge some of the amazing things that our membership is doing
Treasurer Jonathan Perez
- Working to create a bank account separate from any Tax ID
Political Director Angel Martinez
- Lots of endorsements are on the horizon
- You must be a member or an associate member to receive an early endorsement
- The endorsement committee has begun to interview candidates. Need a minimum of 5 members on the endorsement committee.
Secretary Cassie Mancini
- Youth Takeover of the Santa Clara County Democratic Party Central Committee: youth in our community passed a number of very progressive resolutions
- There will be a new Youth Delegate to the SCCDP Central Committee. Be sure to talk to Bill James or Judy Pipkin if you know anyone who would be good.
Joint Campaign Walk Launch for Lucas Ramirez
August 4th with special guest Senator Jerry Hill
Kevin de Leon Requests an Early Endorsement
General Discussion: Should we as a club break with precedent and endorse at the federal level?
Justin motions to allow consideration of endorsement in this race. Ryan seconds the motion.
Vote | Yes: 6, No: 9; motion to allow consideration of endorsement in U.S. Senate race fails.
Clarification: voting for early endorsement is 3/4rd or more threshold (inclusive)
Website update needed. Therefore, early endorsed folks need a total of 18 votes.
Cory Wolbach: Re-election to Palo Alto City Council
Matt Savage motions to endorse Cory Wolbach for Palo Alto City Council. Emily Ramos seconds.
Vote | Yes: 18, No: 0; motion to endorse Cory Wolbach for Palo Alto City Council passes.
Rich Tran: Re-election to Milpitas City Council
Patrick Ahrens motions to endorse. Sameer Kausar seconds.
Vote | Yes: 16, Abstentions: 4, No: 4; motion to endorse Rich Tran for Milpitas City Council fails. Endorsement Committee will take on that race.
Karina Dominguez: Milpitas City Council
Angelica Ramos motions to endorse. Patrick Ahrens seconds.
Vote | Yes: 19, Abstentions: 3, No: 0; motion to endorse Karina Dominguez for Milpitas City Council passes.
Chris Miller: Campbell Union School District
Jules motions to endorse. Matt Savage seconds the motion.
Vote | Yes: 21, Abstentions: 3, No: 0; motion to endorse Chris Miller for Campbell Union School District passes.
Ellen Kamei: Mountain View City Council
Patrick Ahrens motions to endorse Ellen Kamei. Paul seconds the motion.
Vote | Yes: 18, Abstentions: 4, No: 0; motion to endorse Ellen Kamei for Mountain View City Council passes.
San Jose Unified School Board
Jules motions to endorse Peter Allen for San Jose Unified School Board Area 2. Emily Ramos seconds the motion.
Vote | Yes: 11, Abstentions: 6, No: 2; motion to endorse Peter Allen for San Jose Unified School Board Area 2 fails.
Patrick Ahrens motions for a dual-endorsement of Jose Magana and Peter Allen. Emily Ramos seconds the motion.
Vote | Yes: 10, Abstentions: 5, No: 5; motion to dual-endorse Jose Magana and Peter Allen for San Jose Unified School Board Area 2 fails.
Kathy Tran motions to endorse Jose Magana. Justin seconds the motion.
Vote | Yes: 8, Abstentions: 12, No: 2; motion to endorse Jose Magana for San Jose Unified School Board Area 2 fails.
Ideas & Feedback for the 2018-2019 Year
- Women’s Leadership Committee
- Mixers and Social
Cassie motions for Ryan to be the SVYD Social Chair. Seconded
Vote | unanimous; motion to make Ryan SVYD Social Chair passes.
Peter Allen pledges to assist with Associate Member recruitment. Peter Allen elected Associate Member Recruitment Chair.
Discussion: White Supremacist Posters in West Vally Cities
- Call the police if you see any racist posters so they can fingerprint it.
- Reach out to CAIR and the ADL.
- A hate crime is a felony.
- How can WE counter white nationalists? Promote what we stand for. Lawn signs? Laptop stickers?
August 4th: Walks for Lucas Ramirez, Ellen Kamei, and Karina Dominguez
Cory Wolbach offers to host a joint walk day out of his home.
See Emily Ramos to add your name to endorse Congresswoman Anna Eshoo.
Kathy Tran motions to adjourn the meeting at 9:38 PM. Angel seconds the motion.
Motion passes by voice vote.